Thursday, September 07, 2006


My assignment this week is to write about anything related to technology that currently interests me. At the risk of sounding even more the grumpy old fart that I am, let me choose cell phones as a topic.
I confess to being the last human in America who does not own a cell phone. In fact I don’t think having a phone attached to my kitchen wall is an especially good idea. Hell is a place where people can contact you whenever and wherever they choose. Having said that, I have committed to acquiring technological skills that may require acquisition of technology. Unfortunately.
So here is my whine du jour. I have been looking at newspaper advertisements for cell phones and “calling plans” and have concluded that they are intended to be as opaque as possible. I challenge anyone to look at any of those ads and tell me what the cost of their phone will be. It is ironic that companies proud of clarity that will let you "hear a pin drop" communicate so poorly in print that one couldn’t hear a metaphorical bowling pin drop. How about a little truth in advertising phone companies? Don’t make some bored legislator come to the rescue of the public and introduce a bill forcing you to clarify your pricing.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger bookgirl said...

Hey, nice rant! You seem to be really getting the hang of this blog thing.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger saintpaulite said...

could have been worse, bookgirl. i could have blogged [or "written" as we used to say in my day] about how cell phones seduce kids into even ruder behavior than they are normally predisposed to exhibit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home